Popped Quinoa can be a great addition to so many dishes. The crunch it adds can take your desserts, salads, rice and many other dishes to another level.
Quinoa is essentially a protein which is a wholesome part of balanced diet. It contains all 9 essential amino acids. Who knew these little balls could mean so much to your body!
I add popped quinoa to my raw cacao date balls, granola, raw cacao date bars, smoked salmon salad, a topping to my chia pudding, honey roasted nuts, yogurt, breakfast cereal, porridge,
- Always use medium to slightly lower heat.
- If using a pan, place enough quinoa to cover the base of the pan, no more.
- The popping process happens quickly.
- When the popping slows, that means it is finished.
- Try to buy pre-washed quinoa (I’ve used unwashed quinoa before, but it has a somewhat different taste. If you buy quinoa, then wash it, it takes a couple hours to dry and pop in the oven on low heat.)
- Keep the pan moving. You can use a wok or a deep pan with a lid. Whichever you choose, be sure to keep shaking it about to prevent overheating and burning.
- Prep time: 1min
- Total time: 5mins
- yield: 5tbsp
- category: toppings and additions
- 5tbsp quinoa
- (Optional): 1tsp oil
- Place the pan/wok onto the stove on medium heat.
- When hot, pour desired amount of quinoa into pan/wok.
- If using a pan, place the lid on to cover quinoa.
- When the popping begins, keep moving the pan side to side so that the quinoa rolls around inside.
- Open frequently to make sure pan is not smoking.
- If the pan begins to generate smoke, lift away from heat and keep shaking quinoa around until pan cools.
- When popping slows, remove from heat altogether.