Have you ever spent your heard earned cash on granola? Sigh. Do you have in your mind that it must be difficult to make on your own? Or that perhaps it may be time consuming? Think again!
Granola remains one of the easiest snacks/ desserts/ toppings/ breakfast recipes to whip up. Also, there are so many different ways you can make it to suit your palate….mix away, create your own granola combination! C’mon, release that inner chef (well, sort of, this dish isn’t really complicated enough to require chef expertise).
My kids usually enjoy granola with yogurt or on it’s own (trying to fight one another for the biggest clusters). It’s easy to take with us on a day out so I won’t have to dip into my pockets to buy a snack (quite possibly the SAME snack) for them when they want a break from having fun. Or as soon as they step out the door…or on the train…or the bus…or…you get the point. Kids always want something to eat don’t they? lol.
- Prep time: 10mins
- Total time: 30mins
- Category: dessert/ breakfast/ snack/ toppings and additions
- 3cups rolled oats
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of honey (sub 3/4 cup maple syrup for vegan recipe)
- 1/2 cup shaved/flaked coconut
- 2tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup of seeds and nuts (pumpkin seeds. sunflower seeds, peanuts, any combo works)
- 1/4cup Chia seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4cup popped quinoa
- Don’t wait for the granola to get crunchy in the oven. It does that all on its own once it cools down. Cook until it is the colour that you want.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg (if using cacao powder).
- In another small jug, mix together honey/maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour 3/4 wet ingredients into dry ingredient mix and stir until combined.
- Pour oil into jug with remainder of wet ingredients.
- Pour contents of jug into the granola mix and gently fold to create “clumps”
- Feel free to add more liquid ingredients (honey/maple syrup) to create more clumps.
- Fold in the nuts/seeds and popped quinoa into the granola mix.
- Gently tip the granola mix onto a well greased/lined baking sheet.
In a preheated oven (180C), place the baking sheet for 10mins.
Gently fold granola to reposition, trying not to break apart the clusters.
Place in oven for an additional 10mins, checking often to be sure that granola is not being overdone.
Around two minutes before you remove the granola from the oven, sprinkle the flaked coconut and return to oven to toast.
Once the granola is “browned” enough for you…or once the 20mins cook time is up, remove from oven and leave to cool.
At this point, do not stir.
Sprinkle raisins/sultanas on warm granola to let soften.
Don’t forget to share our recipes with your friends and if you’ve tried our granola…comment below. Let us know how it turned out.